Sunday, May 13, 2007

More spinning

I plied the brown BFL. Turned out like rope. When I tried to knit it up on a pair of #11 the gauge was 1 st = 1inch. Totally unusable. I was baffled what to do with it. Noone in my knitting group could figure out what to do with it either. There was mention of a possible wallhanging, maybe some macrame...

Then I went to Seaport Yarn to look for sock yarn for my Sockapalooza4 pal. No luck, but I found the fiber. There was a new shipment from Grafton Fibers. They let me rummage through the box of fibery goodness before it was even unpacked. What amazing colors. I started to pay for my new fiber, when I spotted the Grafton spindles. They were gorgeous too. Turns out the problem I was having with the BFL was that the spindle I had was too heavy so thinner yarn broke more easily. Andrea was very helpful and suggested I respin it.

Ripping out a sweater is a breeze compared to unspinning fiber but what a difference. I can see a brown hat in my future. Did I mention I love the new spindle?




Its been only 2 weeks since I started spinning and already I have a fiber stash. Given the pace I spun with the first spindle, about 4 oz a week, I decided I needed a lot more fiber. I have this fantasy of spinning yarn to make a brown cardigan with cable edges instead of button bands. There I was ordering 16 oz of brown BFL and 8 oz of Winter Sky blue merino from Copper Moose Fibers. Cant explain the blue merino since I've been having trouble spinning the merino I already had, too slippery for my beginners fingers. The package was waiting for me when I got home from Seaport Yarn. More gorgeous fiber. I dont feel worthy. Besides, now that I'm spinning thinner yarn, it takes much longer to spin. Plus respinning the old BFL. I have enough to keep me busy for months, not like that means anything. If I believed that I wouldnt have a yarn stash. I feel like I've officially arrived to the world of spinning!!



I've been spinning a lot. My knitting projects are suffering.

Today I relutantly put down the knitting and spinning and organized the yarn strewn all over the couch. There was barely enough room for me and Patches to sit. Last night I feel asleep on top of the yarn, I guess that was a hint that it was time to clean. I got most of the yarn off the couch. Its all on the coffee table but at least I have room to sit. I finished the socks that have been living on the couch since X-mas and cleaned the kitchen. I;m exhausted.



Rapunzel Sock Knitpicks Swish, Bubblegum

No comments: