Monday, May 7, 2007

Spinning...again

My plans were innocuous enough. Wind the brown BFL into a skein, wash it and make a hat. I started wrapping it around the table to make the yarn into a skein and the yarn started to break. Seems the thicker the yarn the less twist it had and the more easily it came apart. Those very thin sections held just fine. While doing the initial spinning I was so concerned about having too much spin in the fiber that I ended with not enough spin and the fiber unraveled. After much frustration and many yarn breaks I decided to re-spin the entire thing. I got lots of practice making joins that werent microscopically or look one big slub. Once I figured out how to spin fiber without it getting tangled on itself I fwas able to find my rhythm and it was fine. Though I'm afraid to unwind it from the spindle. Once I got passed the I was able to relax into it and became mesmerized with watching the spindle spin. Maybe its an Aspergers/autism thing.

I'm definitely going to ply this. The yarn isnt as thick as I remembered, esp after being respun. I'm thinking of ordering more dark BFL to ply with it and maybe a pound of BFL in oatmeal for a sweater. Hopefully by then I'll be spinning thinner yarn more consistently. I'm a little nervouse ordering on line and not being able to touch it, but there isnt anyplace I know of in Manhattan that sells such large quantities of roving. I'm a little uncomfortable spending so much on something I just started doing. But making just a few ounces at a time just makes more. Its all pretty exciting.

This is Patches trying to figure out why the heck am I spending so much time taking pictures of yarn. She's such a good sport about it


No comments: