Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sometimes the yarn wins.

It started innocently enough. One trip to LYS to buy something for my Sockapalooza pal. Just buy a bottle of Eucalan. Mistake #1. I looked at the sale yarn. Just browsing. I saw yarn I really loved in my favorite colors, but I resisted and walked away. I had a brilliant idea to make a shrug. I could see it in my head. I even found a pattern. I went back the next day and picked up a few balls of it. Mistake #2. I've never worked with ribbon yarn. How hard could it be, right? I was feeling depressed, about nothing in particular. It was Friday. I felt a little disappointed about not hearing back about a job I had applied for. Ok, a lot disappointed. Three skeins of yarn should be enough for something. Isnt it pretty?



Mistake #3. Went to another LYS. found some glittery yarn that went perfectly the ribbon. It was 50% off....At least I only bought one skein.




The woman in LYS #2 warned me that ribbon yarn gets twisted. I was feeling invincible. I swatched. It looked perfect. I started the shrug.
Mistake #4. I didnt swatch the dropped stitches. How hard can that be? Well, turns out the ribbon yarn got stuck at the join on the circular needles and I couldnt move the stitches forward. I tugged at the yarn. I cajoled, pleaded, tried to untwist it. Nothing. There may have been some cursing and throwing of yarn against the nearest wall. My neighbors are probably horrified. Resistance is futile. The yarn always wins. I cut my losses and started again. Maybe something simple like a lacy scarf. No circulars. Bigger needles. No success. More cursing and ripping out of yarn. Now I have a lovely pile of yarn on my kitchen floor. Maybe LYS #1 will exchange the unused skeins of yarn. It would be cruel to give this to another unsuspecting knitter. I could hide it in my stash and teach it a lesson...









Patches decided it was safest to hide until I put the yarn away.




On a lighter, calmer note, the sockapalooza socks are almost finished. Just a few rows of ribbing left. Hopefully Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn cast-off wont be too vexing.






A couple of weeks ago I bought some Handmaiden Sea Silk in purple. The Sea Silk is soft and has a nice shimmer to it. Its the perfect yardage for IK Swallowtail Shawl. No tantrums yet.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sock and the shawl both look lovely! I am sure that your pal will love the sock =) I can't believe sockapalooza is almost over!